In their new book Small Town Rules, Barry Moltz and Becky McCray show how the business world is like a global small town, and how even the largest companies must compete for customers as if they were small, local businesses. They reveal the seven “rural-style” solutions that have become invaluable to even the largest companies, most dominant brands, and most cosmopolitan businesses.
NBC Chicago - Small-Biz Consultant Barry Moltz on Why You Should Blog
Daily Oklahoman/NewsOK – Oklahoma entrepreneur’s book offers tips for global success with ‘Small Town Rules’
Small Biz Technology – Five Business Technology Books to Help Your Small Business Grow
Simcoe Reformer - Rural areas have a future: expert
GeekBeat.TV (video) - BlogWorld: Small Town Rules
American Express Open Forum - 7 “Small Town” Rules for Doing Business on a Human Scale
Crain’s Chicago Business – Playing by small-town rules
U.S. Chamber of Commerce’s Free Enterprise – Don’t Stop Believing in Your Small Business Values
Business Insider – Small Town Rules for Big Success in Business
Information Week – Small Town Rules That Can Help Your Business, No Matter the Size
Marketing Profs Daily Fix - What’s the Difference Between Building a Community and Building an Audience?
Marketing Profs (audio) – Small Town Rules: Author Becky McCray on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
Ragan.com – What Communicators Can Learn from Farmers
Escape from Cubicle Nation (audio) – Small Town Rules That Can Help Your Business, No Matter the Size
Searching Finance - The Small Town Rules! Becky McCray talks to Searching Finance
The Pulse on Marketing (video) – Marketing Lessons from Farmers
Small Biz Technology – Book Review: Small Town Rules. Practical Lessons for Small Businesses To Do Big Things
Small Biz Daily – Small is Beautiful: Review of Small Town Rules
Jason Falls (video) – Small Town Rules review on G+
Talk Radio X (audio) – Small Town Rules
7 Minute Smarketer (audio) – Small Town Rules
Mike Michalowicz author of “The Toilet Paper Entrepreneur” – Playing by Small Town Rules
Watch.tv – Customers Want Local and (video) - Interview: Small Business Entrepreneur and Author, Becky McCray
Liz Marshall Author Teleseminars (video) – Interview with Barry Moltz, Co-Author of Small Town Rules
Promo with Purpose - Are You Running Your Business by Small Town Rules
Chris Brogan: Human Business Works (audio) - Becky McCray on Small Biz, Small Towns, Cattle and More
Barbara Weltman (audio) – Build Your Business Radio
Precise Selling (audio) – The Entrepreneurial Moment (registration required)
James Dalman - Book Review: Small Town Rules
Small Business Trends – Small Town Rules for Big Success in Business
Drew McLellan: Drew’s Marketing Minute – What can you learn from a small town?
Rely Local – Small Town Rules for Big Success in Business
Phil Gerbyshak – Small Town Rules: An interview with Becky McCray
Small Business Labs - Book Review: Small Town Rules
Intrepid TV Podcast (video, audio) – Why Your Business Needs to Adopt Small Town Rules
Business Unplugged with Carol Roth – Customer Service: Playing by Small Town Rules
Fierce Loyalty (audio) – Interview: Small Town Rules
Raul J. Colon (video) – Small Town Rules
Business2Community – What Can You Learn From a Small Town?
Matthew E. May - 7 “Small Town” Rules for Doing Business on a Human Scale
Attracting Clients with Erno Hannink – (video) Becky McCray on small towns and making rural entrepreneurs prosper
Flesherton Village - Rural Business – Different in the Country
Blog Business Success (audio) – Barry Moltz and Becky McCray: Small Town Rules
Dennis Deery – Small Town Rules
Breakthrough Business (audio) – Small Town Rules Prosper in Connected Economy
Small Biz Lady, Succeed as Your Own Boss - How to Help Small Businesses Get Unstuck
Small Biz Nation (LinkedIn Group) – Book of the Month! Small Town Rules
Urban Escapee - Small Town Rules Apply Everywhere, Right?
Idea Girl Media – How One NYC Restaurant Succeeds Using Small Town Rules
21 Times – Do Startups Have to Start in Big Cities?
Urban Escapee – 12 Fascinating Women Discussing Rural+Urban
Blog Business World – Small Town Rules book review
Lexington Herald – Public Relations: Experts write, suggest insightful reads
Telegram.com Business - Remote-controlled underwater camera a snap (scroll down to Books)
Social Chorus Blog - Creation, Curation and Collection and Small Town Rules at BlogWorld NYC: Wrap Ups
BlogWorld Expo – Big Cities and Small Towns
Big Brand System – Tiny but Mighty: Becky McCray Talks About the Power of Small Business
Marketing Matters – Playing by Small Town Rules
BizNik – Small Town Rules
Business Opportunities with Dane Carlson - New book: Small Town Rules
Broadband for America - Broadband Gives “Small Town Rules” A Big City Perspective
SmallBizLady – Summer Reading List 2012
My VenturePad – Small Town Rules apply to you
New York Times - This Week in Small Business
San Francisco Chronicle - Authors Barry Moltz and Becky McCray Introduce Small Town Rules
Albany Times Union - Authors Barry Moltz and Becky McCray Introduce Small Town Rules
Online Press Releases:
Barry and Becky are available for interviews, guest posts and other opportunities.
- Book website: http://www.smalltownrules.com
- Title: Small Town Rules: How Big Brands and Small Businesses Can Prosper in a Connected Economy
- Formats: Hardcover: 224 pages, 6″x9″ $24.95. eBook: Kindle, Nook, EPUB and PDF available.
- Authors: Barry J. Moltz and Becky McCray
- Publication Date: March 23, 2012
- ISBN: 0789749203 and 978-0789749208
- Publisher: Que
- Sample Chapter: Click here for (PDF) of Introduction
Who Should Read Small Town Rules
- Big Brands and Urban Businesses: Small Town Rules was written to help large brands and urban businesses that are struggling with the uncertain economy, radical changes in technology, and seismic shifts in society. Today, brands find themselves trying to compete for local customers, while being bombarded by inbound messages from consumers and fans, while also coping with drastic changes in revenue. Small town businesses have been juggling this set of challenges for decades. Small towns become the learning labs for business today.
- Small Business Owners: Because Barry and Becky are both entrepreneurs, Small Town Rules addresses the challenges of small businesses, no matter how urban or sophisticated. Special resources address small business, and the Appendix includes small business ideas that were inspired by the Small Town Rules.
What are the Small Town Rules?
The Change in the Economy
Rule 1. Plan for zero. There will be tough years ahead.
Rule 2. Spend creative brainpower before spending dollars.
Rule 3. Multiply lines of income to diversify your risk.
The Change in Technology
Rule 4. Work anywhere, anywhen through technology.
Rule 5. Treat customers like community.
The Change in Society
Rule 6. Be proud of being small.
Rule 7. Build your local connections.
Small Town Rules contains some things different from most books.
- Between chapters, Powerhouse Small Town Brands are profiled, including L.L. Bean, Walmart, Winnebago Industries, and Viking Range.
- To help readers implement the ideas, an appendix of Resources includes specific tools, references and links for each small town rule.
- An appendix of Business Ideas Inspired by the Small Town Rules profiles more than 20 different business ideas. Businesses of any size can use these ideas for expansion, innovation or to change the game.
While Barry Moltz lives in Chicago (population about 2.7 million) and Becky McCray lives in Hopeton, Oklahoma, (population about 30), they do share some common characteristics.
Both are entrepreneurs. Barry has had three businesses of his own. Becky started her first business in junior high school, and currently owns a liquor store and a cattle ranch along with her husband. (She also has a number of smaller side businesses.)
Both talk openly about success and failure. Both have been fired. Both have gone out of business. Barry has been kicked out of business by his own partners, and he sold his last business during the Internet bubble of 1999. Becky has run for public office and lost, started businesses that went no where, and has succeeded in building stable businesses in times of intense economic turmoil.
Barry also brings experience with large corporations through his time with IBM. Becky adds experience in agriculture, nonprofit and governmental organizations.
They wrote the book by collaborating almost entirely online, meeting in person only a few times.
Small Town Rules Cover
Photo of cover
Size: 1024 x 1710 pixels
Barry Moltz Source: http://smalltownrules.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Barry-Moltz.jpg
Becky McCray Source: http://smalltownrules.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/beckymccray0105-rw-300px.jpg
These videos are available to embed in your site.
Introducing Small Town Rules
- Barry Moltz introduces Small Town Rules and how all business is like small town business now.
- Becky McCray introduces Small Town Rules and what she has learned as a small town business owner.
- Becky McCray shows how the Small Town Rules come from wheat farming.
- Becky McCray explains how the seasons apply in farming and in business.
The individual rules
- Barry Moltz explains Rule 1 Plan for Zero.
- Barry Moltz explains Rule 2 Too Much Money Makes You Stupid.
- Barry Moltz explains Rule 3 Diversifying Your Risk.
- Becky McCray explains Rule 4 Work Anywhere, Anywhen.
- Barry Moltz explains Rule 5 Treat Customers Like Community.
- Becky McCray explains Rule 6 in Be Small but Grow Big.
- Becky McCray explains Rule 7 in How Brands can Be Local.
Additional videos from Que Publishing:
- Small Town Rules: How Big Brands and Small Businesses Can Prosper in a Connected Economy
- Small Town Rules – Rule # 5: Customer Driven Communication
- Small Town Rules – Rule # 6: Be Proud of Being Small
- Small Town Rules – Rule #7: Be Local
Barry and Becky are available for interviews, guest posts and other opportunities.